Services | Counselling for Adults & Adolescents
Donna provides brief intervention through to long-term therapy to adolescents and adults. This includes assessment and treatment for a range of problems or issues including:
- Addictions – alcohol, drugs and gambling problems
- Anger management
- Anxiety including panic attacks, phobias, social and performance anxiety, excessive worry, health anxiety, and obsessive compulsive behaviours
- Adjusting to change
- Coping with stressful life events including workplace and relationship difficulties
- Coping with loneliness
- Chronic pain, adjusting to illness/injury
- Depression/ bipolar
- Loss, grief and bereavement
- Low self esteem and confidence
- Offence related therapy and relapse prevention
- Social skills support and assertiveness
- Separation and divorce
- Sleep difficulties
The concerns of adults and adolescents are as varied as the individuals themselves who present for counselling. Some of the problems Dr Donna has dealt with include: drug or alcohol abuse, school difficulties, shyness/social withdrawal, inappropriate sexual behaviour, anger management, and self esteem problems.
Therapy in this instance involves conducting therapeutic interviews, providing counselling, and sometimes running psychological tests to identify the source of problem and determine the best treatment.
Positive psychological techniques and strategies are best used to address and overcome the problems. For instance in the case of drug or alcohol abuse rational emotive therapy or cognitive behaviour therapy have been shown to have most effect.
These therapies aim to challenge and change the irrational and negative thoughts (cognitions) that are thought to be responsible for drug taking and to change and reduce drug taking behaviours. This approach is based on the belief that substance dependence represents a means of coping with difficult issues and stress. Skills training is thought to provide more functional and healthier options for coping with stress.
Donna also offers Psychological Assessment Reports and Medico-legal Reports for court and insurance claims.